My vote goes to someone less famous who has created a great organization and continues to shape lives today.
It’s someone you may never have heard of:
Shurts is the CEO of East Central Energy located in Braham, MN. The electric cooperative has 150+ employees and over 58,000 members in Minnesota and Wisconsin.
Steve was hired by the board of directors in 2010. He spent his first 30 days on the job getting to know every employee; the role they play in the company, their family and their interests. In doing this, he created a corporate culture that is open, respectful and encouraging. Shurts believes in growing people.
He has conceived a message that goes out on occasional Fridays to each employee called “Friday Philosophizing”. His most recent message contained this:
“My seven expectations of you … and you should expect the same of me.
- Maintain excellent attendance
- When you begin your day, your first duty is to ensure you are safe … and maintain that attitude all day
- Do everything to enhance ECE’s reputation
- Work efficiently and effectively
- Treat each other with dignity and respect
- Be honest with others … and yourself
- Drive home safely and enjoy life … rememberTGIF and TGIM
Do you take the time to share your intangible expectations with your staff in such a caring manner? Perhaps an occasional “Friday Philosophizing”communication is a good idea in every organization.
Stay tuned next week for Part II of Steve’s email.