Every time a potential customer comes in contact with a product or service, there is an opportunity to create a MOMENT OF MAGIC. It’s the moment when every aspect of a transaction is simple, easy, and pure joy.
I have one every time I take my car in to be serviced. I buy all my cars from Tinker & Larson in Mora. When I walk through the door, they call me by name. Often, it’s the owner or his son who checks me in – always at the scheduled time. In the waiting room, there’s an empty desk I can use. When the job is done, the mechanic who worked on my car gives me the key, tells me what was done, and informs me of possible future maintenance issues. Tinker & Larson has earned my loyalty for years to come.
When you’ve been treated to a MOMENT OF MAGIC you know it. A MOMENT OF MAGIC is getting something extra without having to pay more. A MOMENT OF MAGIC is the personal touch, knowing someone cared enough to complete a transaction beyond your expectations.
When you create MOMENTS OF MAGIC for your customers, you earn their loyalty, and they tell their friends. A MOMENT OF MAGIC can mean an eternity of profits.
How do you create MOMENTS OF MAGIC?
- Become an expert at what you do. Build a reputation as the person / company to go to for information on your industry.
- Continuous education: read professional magazines, business periodicals, newspapers, even fiction. Attend seminars, listen to podcasts, read blogs.
- Develop the habit of learning in your car; listen to books or podcasts. The average person spends 500 to 1,000 hours a year driving. That’s a full semester of college!
- Give 100%–even when you don’t feel like it. It’s the mark of a true professional.
- Have a positive attitude–don’t fuss about things you can’t change.
- Be sensitive to your customer’s needs.
- Study your competition. Equal on quality? Beat them with superior service!
- Quality makes a lasting first impression. Keep your facilities clean. Make sure your people are invested in what they do. Make correspondence accurate, neat, and attractive.
- Give customer’s their money’s worth plus a little extra. Be like the restaurant owner who walked around with fresh cookies at noon. Everyone got one, free of charge. MOMENTS OF MAGIC for everyone!
There are many things you can do to create MOMENTS OF MAGIC for your customers. Brainstorm with your employees for ideas –then start.
Who will be the first recipient of a MOMENT OF MAGIC?
The road is easier together,
Linda Laitala, President
Raven Performance Group